Monday, August 2, 2010

Northern Ghana: July 25th-29th

My last weekend before the CoFA girls arrived I took off two days to go up north. Bolgatanga is the capital of Ghana's upper east region and is located thirty minutes from the border with Burkina Faso. It was 18.5 hour bus ride to Bolga, longer than my flight to Ghana! Luckily, I was a little sick, so I was unconscious for most of the trip.

I went to visit Kirsten, a Peace-Corp volunteer.


While Kirsten worked on Friday, I explored Bolga. I love seeing how people live and I walked all over. This is a typical Bolga housing complex. Residences exit just off the main roads of Bolga and are dirt. In contrast, the main roads are paved.







This is another typical street view of the residential parts of Bolga. The trash can to the right is an uncommon sight in most of Ghana!


Right: Residential alleyway and trashcan.


.

The people in Bolga are fantastic! In the South, as an Obruni (white person), you often feel people are only interested in your money. Bolga's laid-back culture invites conversation and cultural exchange. This is Linda. A hairdresser by trade she was visiting her friend's salon (doors behind her). I talked to Linda for 30 minutes about life, and loved it!

Left: Linda, a hairdresser who welcomed a photo.






Kirsten and her husband JayJay live in a village about 15 minutes by motorcycle outside of Bolga. The village sprawls across the countryside. Family complexes generally contain multiple small, mud, houses enclosed by a mud fence.

Right: Statue of a wealthy family's grandfather. The children play on his lap. See the guest at his feet?





No comments:

Post a Comment