Saturday, September 11, 2010

Walk through Jamestown

Jamestown Walk

During my last two weeks in Ghana, I worked during the weekends to finish my reports. My activities were mainly mundane, but one or two fun things spiced up my time. A favorite activity included a walk from Osu to Jamestown, two distinct areas in Accra. I realized that all my pictures were of my time outside of Accra, despite the fact that 90% of my time was in Accra.

Right: One type of typical Accra House, shared by a large family.

Below: A modern apartment complex, also common in Accra. The yellow buckets hold water for days when the water stops running.










Independence Square: Historically and currently politically important 
area.
Nkruma Bridge: Historical monument celebrating Ghana's first president since independence. This is also important for Sub-Saharan Africa as Ghana was the first African country to gain independence from colonial power.





Open Sewers: Common throughout Ghana, most famous in Jamestown where the open sewers dump contents into the ocean.









Fun TroTro: Ghana has a million and one sign of God and Jesus. This was my favorite--loved all the Ghana flags!






Jamestown Lighthouse: Famous in Ghana, as it brought those Colonial Ships right to Accra.









Data shortage... the pictures have stopped loading.


No comments:

Post a Comment